The President’s Committee for Sustainability (PCS) was convened in March 2011 to:
- Implement the Seattle University Climate Action Plan
- Provide a means of integrating sustainability initiatives across the Seattle University community
The committee includes faculty, staff and students from all areas of campus. Committee contact person: Professor Greg Magnan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Subcommittee 2017-2018 Objectives
Four sub-committees are making progress toward achieving our Climate Action Plan goals:
Goal - Educate all students about climate change and sustainability in the classroom
- Assess and evaluate sustainability-focused and sustainability-related courses and scholars doing sustainability research in each of the 8 colleges.
Goal - Educate all students about climate change and sustainability in co-curricular programs
Co-curricular programs include student activities, housing and residence life, commuter and transfer student services, leadership development and many more.
- Develop and implement measurable learning outcomes focused on sustainability within co-curricular programs.
- Develop and implement guidelines for organizing and implementing sustainable events on campus using the Green Meeting and Event Planning Guide and Checklist.
Goal- Eliminate greenhouse gas emissions from operations and transportation
- Advise on strategies to reduce emissions from buildings, campus vehicles, air travel, commuting and waste combined 12% by 2020 and 51% by 2035 as compared to 2009.
Marketing & Communications
Goal - Share our sustainability knowledge and expertise
- Communicate progress toward meeting Climate Action Plan goals, new sustainability initiatives and best practices to campus members and the general public.
- Pilot a green office program to help offices and departments use resources efficiency, reduce waste and save money.