Lemieux Library, originally built in 1966, was renovated, expanded, and transformed into Lemieux Library and McGoldrick Learning Commons in 2010.
As the intellectual, educational, and physical heart of campus, the library provides a wide range of services and collections primarily to support the teaching, research, and learning goals of the Seattle University community.
The vision for Lemieux Library and McGoldrick Learning Commons
As the premier independent academic library in the Pacific Northwest and as the intellectual and educational core of a vibrant academic community, the library is:
- A place and a presence
- A repository and an active learning space
- Tangible and digital
- Traditional and transformative
- Responsive to change and a change agent
- Distinctive in character & role, and
- Fully engaged with the achievement of Seattle University’s mission.
The cumulative impact of our facilities, technologies, resources, and services:
- Engages the community in a full expression of teaching, learning, scholarship, and research.
- Enriches the individual and collaborative intellectual processes and personal experiences of exploration and discovery as part of the search for truth.
- Enables in each student an active, lifelong ability to confront ideas, to master knowledge, and to learn continuously.
With our Learning Commons Partnership, we offer a unique environment in which our students succeed in their academic programs and develop the attitudes and skills for a lifetime of intellectual vigor and continuous learning.
The mission for Lemieux Library and McGoldrick Learning Commons
Lemieux Library integrates comprehensive collections, flexible and personalized services, innovative instructional programs, collaborative relationships, and enabling technologies – operating in, and accessible through, the physical and the digital environments – to make a powerful impact on the educational and scholarly processes of inquiry, discovery, teaching, and learning for the Seattle University academic community.
In collaboration with our partners, we honor our rich, individual contributions to student learning, we forge new relationships, and we design new services that respond effectively to the changing needs and expectations of Seattle University’s diverse community of students.