How to Apply for SUCON Education Abroad Courses
Regardless of the program you are applying for, ALL STUDENTS are required to submit an application via HORIZONS, the Education Abroad Office online application system. The following are instructions for how to apply:
- Enter the HORIZONS application system. You will log in using your SU email address and password.
- Select the program you are interested in to begin your application.
- You will answer a series of standard immersion questions and a set of questions specific to nursing and the program you have selected.
In addition, you will need to obtain letters of support/recommendation from those who can speak to your potential for success in an education abroad program.
- Students applying to the short-term program are required to have two recommendations from SU faculty members.
- Students applying to the long-term program must have at least one recommendation from SU faculty. It is ideal for the second recommendation to also be an academic reference.
The faculty members must complete the recommendation in the HORIZONS system. Please provide the faculty members with instructions to complete the recommendation online.
Your submission of an application indicates that you grant permission to the CON to review your unofficial transcript to verify your GPA and academic standing as part of the application process.
All applications for short-term programs (≤ 4 weeks: Belize, Nicaragua) are due to HORIZONS by 9 December 2016.
Belize - for undergraduates
UCOR 3620 - Global Nursing Seminar and Immersion - Belize
(5 cr) Spring/Summer 2017
Course Director: Mary Kangas
- Explore the history, culture & health/human services infrastructure of Belize.
- Spend 10 days working in health & human service settings (work with elderly, adolescents, children infected/affected with HIV, and others) .
- Includes two weekends of cultural activities including visit to ancient Mayan sites.
- Click here for the Nursing in Belize 2017 flyer.
Nicaragua - for undergraduates and graduates
UCOR 3620 – Global Nursing Seminar and Immersion - Nicaragua
(5 cr) Spring/Summer 2017
Course Director: Therry Eparwa
- Explore the history, culture & healthcare infrastructure of Nicaragua.
- Spend three weeks working at a school for individuals with disabilities, interacting with students, their parents, and school staff.
- Opportunities for home visiting or exploring other health service sites are also available.
- Includes cultural excursion weekends within Nicaragua, including overnight travel to either Ometepe or Matagalpa.
- Click here for the Nursing in Nicaragua 2017 flyer.
Long-term programs to Sweden are currently on hold for SU nursing students. No applications are being accepting at this time.
Sweden - for undergraduates
The Mälardalen Nursing Program allows students to study nursing in a country renowned for justice-oriented health and social policy. Students study the role of nursing in the Scandinavian healthcare system while gaining practical experience through clinical courses alongside Swedish and foreign exchange students. This is the only long-term study abroad program available for nursing students, who will spend two quarters in Sweden, taking all nursing courses. This programs also fits within a modified nursing program of study and does not extend the student’s expected graduation date.