If you came to help me, you're wasting your time and mine. But if you have come because your liberation is bound to mine, let us work together." Lilla Watson
Wismer Center Mission Statement
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are guiding principles that inform all aspects of faculty development across the career span. The mission of the Wismer Office for Faculty Diversity, Equity, and Inclusive Excellence is to infuse faculty development support and programming with attention to the needs, perspectives, and contributions of members of underrepresented groups. The office:
- Coordinates faculty diversity and inclusion initiatives within Academic Affairs.
- Offers confidential consultations, conversation groups, and advocacy for diversity and equity.
- Provides workshops and support for faculty, department chairs, and deans on inclusive working environments.
- In collaborations with Human Resources, advises on best hiring practices and serves as a resource to hiring departments to build a broad and diverse candidate pool leading to the best hire.
- Contributes to efforts within Academic Affairs or the University to gather climate data that inform academic policies, programs, and priorities.
- Collaborates with other offices on diversity-related initiatives and serves as a general resource to the campus regarding climate-enhancing efforts for faculty.