Frequently Asked Questions


When can I start the program?

New Students begin the program every year in fall quarter.   Return to top

What is the application deadline?

The priority deadline for the best chance at incoming student scholarships is February 1. After February 1, as space is available, there will be rolling admission until the program is filled, however there may not be scholarships after that date. Return to top

How long does the Counseling Program take to complete?

The program takes 3 years to complete. The first two years includes classroom-based courses, both content courses and skills courses. The final year includes practicum and internship. Return to top

Can I complete the program in less than 3 years?

Because of the sequence of classes and cohort system, it is not possible to complete our program in less than 3 years. Return to top

What is the course schedule like?

Each class session is between 3-4 hours long and meets once per week. Most students take two to three courses per quarter and are thus on campus two to three nights a week. Courses are offered starting between 4 and 5 p.m., Monday-Thursday only. Course start times vary; the start time depends on the specific course. Students take courses all four quarters each year (fall, winter, spring, and summer). Return to top

Is there a summer break?

Although students do take summer courses, there is a 6-week break between summer and fall quarters. There is also a 3-week break between fall and winter quarters. Return to top

Do I have to have a social services/human services degree to apply?

We do not require that applicants have an undergraduate degree in any particular field.  Applicants with any undergraduate degree are encouraged to apply. Return to top

Can I apply before the deadline?

Yes, you can apply beginning in September. Applications will begin to be reviewed in December on a rolling basis. Return to top

Can I apply to both the School and Clinical Mental Health programs?

No – not in the same year.  The applicant will need to choose which counseling program to apply to at the application stage. Return to top

What classes are part of the degree?

See our list of School Counseling courses hereReturn to top

Where can graduates work/practice?

School counseling graduates are employed in both private and public K-12 school settings as professional school counselors. Return to top

I already have a master's degree. Can I get my school counseling certificate without completing the entire degree?

We do not have a certificate-only option or a post-master's option. All students must complete the entire 90-credit program. Return to top

Do you require the GRE?

This program does not require the GRE. However, if your undergraduate degree was non-graded (i.e., you have no GPA), Seattle University requires that you take a standardized test in order to apply. You may choose either the GRE or the MAT (Miller Analogies Test). Return to top

What is the cost of the program?

Our program cost information can be found hereReturn to top

Do you offer scholarships or graduate assistantships?

The College of Education offers scholarships based on financial need, academic history, and fit with the College. We occasionally have opportunities for graduate assistantships, which are posted for current students as they become available. Return to top

Is it important to graduate from an accredited program?

Yes. Graduating from a non-accredited program may impact your ability to obtain counselor licensure and certification. Graduating from a CACREP-accredited program also increases marketability for employment. Many states already require CACREP accredited programs for all counselors. Return to top

What are the advantages of graduating from SU’s 90-credit hour CACREP program?

  • Portability of Certification/Licensure: As graduates of a 90-credit CACREP program, our students meet the highest standards for counselor training in the nation. This recognition makes it easier to obtain school counselor certification and mental health licensure in Washington and in other states. Graduates of non-CACREP programs or those from 72-credit hour CACREP programs may jeopardize their ability to be a school counselor or mental health counselor outside of Washington state. Other states may require such graduates to complete additional coursework or requirements to obtain certification or licensure in their states. We encourage you to contact the licensing and certification board of the state in which hope to be employed to learn more about their certification and licensure requirements.  
  • Higher Earning Potential: According to the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI), graduates of 90-credit school counseling programs may be placed on a higher salary scale compared to those who graduate from a 72-credit school counseling program.
  • Chemical Dependency Certification: Graduates of our program are prepared to become a chemical dependency professional (CDP). The CDP certification allows our school counselor graduates to better address substance and addictions issues impacting K-12 youth in schools and it allows our mental health counselors to be equipped to work with mental health and substance abuse issues. 
  • Licensed Mental Health Counselor: Graduates of both the School Counseling and Clinical Mental Health Counseling programs are eligible to pursue mental health licensure in Washington state. This option is not available in most states for school counselor graduates. Return to top