Pre-Arrival Information

Pre-Arrival to Seattle University

First Time Studying in the U.S.

*Applies to any student with an "Initial" I-20, even if it is not the first time studying in the U.S.

Hand carry the following documents:

  • Your passport with visa stamp
  • Your SEVIS form I-20 from Seattle University
  • Proof of at least 1 hybrid or in-person course on your schedule
  • Evidence of financial support from the sponsor who is listed on your I-20
  • Evidence of your student status, such as your letter of acceptance, class schedule, or tuition paid receipt
  • Receipt of your paid SEVIS fee (pay fee here)
  • Contact information for the International Student Center.
    Our office phone number is +1 (206) 296-6260.
    • If the border officer asks for a name of a school official from Seattle University, you can give one of the following International Student Advisors' names: Dale Watanabe, Chloe Thomas, Tashi Rabgey.

Transfer Students

**If you have an active SEVIS record from another school and you will be beginning your studies at Seattle University within 5 months of your current program end date, you must transfer your SEVIS record within your 60-day grace period, which is the 60-days after your current I-20 end date (or EAD card end date, if on OPT). If you will not begin your new program within 5 months, please request a new Initial I-20.

  • Follow your current school's guidelines for transferring your SEVIS record to Seattle University
  • Complete the Transfer-In Form
  • Submit your Declaration of Finances Form and/or Bank Statement to Admissions. 
  • Check-in with the International Student Center at Seattle University 
  • Inform the ISC if you are traveling outside of the United States before classes begin so we can issue you a Transfer-Pending I-20. 
    • *If you will be entering the U.S. on a transfer-pending I-20, you will also need to have proof of registration for a hybrid or in-person course
  • Update your overseas and local addresses through MySeattleU

Check out this video for incoming transfer students which includes an introduction of our office, and things to remember when transferring!

Change of Status Students:

For students on a different visa who are currently inside the U.S. and applying for a Change of Status using Form I-539:

  • Submit your financial documents to to request a "Change of Status" I-20
  • Complete the Check-In process, and include a copy of your current visa
  • Remain inside the U.S; do not travel outside the U.S. with your Change of Status pending

COVID-19 Only: Continuing Students with an Initial/Transfer I-20:

HYBRID/IN-PERSON COURSE REQUIREMENT: If you began your studies online from your home country, and are entering the U.S. on an Initial Form I-20, Transfer-Pending Form I-20, or Change of Level I-20, you MUST be registered for at least 1 hybrid or in-person course for the quarter you are entering the U.S. You should bring proof of your hybrid/in-person course registration when you enter the U.S. This is an SEVP regulation, and you will be required to complete that hybrid or in-person course during the term that you enter the U.S. 

Feel free to email if you have any questions about this SEVP regulation.