Filing Taxes

Every international student is required to file a tax return as a condition of your visa, but not everyone will necessary pay taxes to the American government. International students are entitled to a number of benefits and exemptions, so many not owe anything. In fact, if you paid too much tax throughout the year, you may be entitled to a refund check.

No Income Earned

Regardless of whether you have earned income during your time in the US, if you are a nonresident in the US, you will still need to file what’s known as a Form 8843 “Statement for Exempt Individuals and Individuals With a Medical Condition" 

After completing FORM 8843, send it to 

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service Center
Austin, TX 73301-0215

Income Earned

In order to file your taxes, you may do it on your own by following instructions on the IRS website ( (Links to an external site.)  


We recommend using a professional tax preparation service to properly prepare and file your tax return. Sprintax  (Links to an external site.)specializes in preparing fast and low-cost tax returns for international students.


  • Not filing could negatively impact future immigration status (like H1B,
  • Fines, penalties, interest can accrue if the IRS are owed
  • You might be missing out on a tax refund